After I’ve competed my early morning workout during the winter, all I crave is a nice warm breakfast, preferably a bowl of oats, oatbran or no oat oats (depending on my mood). But, I recently discovered barley as a breakfast option and boy, am I hooked! It has become my go-to breakfast these days, as long as I have some left over barley from dinner the night before.
I love barley because of it’s nutty flavor, but also because it’s packed with so much nutrition, including 6 grams of protein and about 8 grams of fiber in 1/2 cup cooked! The longer it cooks, the more it puffs up and becomes fluffy. It’s easy to mix with eggs or egg whites for a sweet or savory breakfast that keeps me satisfied for hours, not to mention wonderful post workout fuel!
Since I usually prefer sweet breakfasts over savory ones, I made mine with blueberries, but you can tweak the recipe however you like. So, for today’s What I Ate Wednesday, I’m sharing this delicious warm bowl of goodness, Blueberry Barley Breakfast Bowl.
- 1/2 cooked barley
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (any milk is fine)
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed (ground)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add coconut oil and heat barley.
- Meanwhile, whisk all remaining ingredients together except for blueberries.
- Add egg white mixture to barley and cook until it becomes oatmeal like, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup blueberries and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, until desired oatmeal texture is reached.
- Serve immediately and top with the remaining blueberries and a dollop of almond butter. Enjoy!
If you don't have fresh blueberries, you can also use frozen ones, just allow for a few more minutes for your breakfast to cook.
Don’t forget to enter my Minted.com giveaway to win a $25 credit!!
Do you prefer sweet or savory breakfasts?
What is your go-to breakfast these days?