This is another one of my favorite “non-lettuce” salads, especially in the Summer when corn is in season. I love grilled corn and the flavor it gives to this hearty salad!
- 8 ears of corn grilled (my husband seasons them and wraps them in foil before grilling)
- 1 red onion (medium dice)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered, depending on the size)
- 4 avocados (large dice)
- 3 cans black beans (low sodium, rinsed)
- 1 bunch cilantro (de-stem and finely chop 1/4 of bunch for dressing; repeat with the rest when finishing salad)
- 4-5 cans sweet corn (depending on the size of your ears of corn)
- 1 block of cotija cheese (cut into small cubes, or crumbled)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4-5 limes (juiced, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin (to taste)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Chop kernels off of grilled (cooled) corn and add to a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for dressing, avocado and cilantro) to the bowl.
- In a small container, mix lime juice, olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper and 1/4 of the chopped cilantro and whisk together.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
- Put plastic wrap over salad and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or overnight) to marinate.
- After 2 hours, add diced avocado and the rest of the cilantro and mix. Serve with a dollop of salsa on top and enjoy!
This makes a huge salad that is great for serving at a barbecue, but you can also make it at the beginning of the week and store in the refrigerator for quick, healthy lunches (which is what I typically do).
To make a smaller batch, just cut the recipe in half for 4 people and by three-fourths for 2 people.
If you are pressed for time, skip the refrigeration step and just mix and serve. It will still taste great!