Now that the leaves are changing colors and the weather is FINALLY getting cooler, I have been all about casseroles for dinner lately, especially ones that are one-pot meals! Warm, ooey gooey casseroles are the best on a cold evening. Also, I love the convenience of a casserole; you can prep it ahead of time (even the night before in most cases) and just pop it in the oven when you are ready to cook it. It makes dinner time so much easier!
I bought some kale last week and instead of making our old standby, Massaged Kale Greek Salad, I decided to experiment a little and try something new with it. I loved baked kale chips, so why not bake kale into a casserole? Similar to my Spaghetti Squash Pasta Bake, I just tossed the chopped kale with pasta sauce, cooked quinoa, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, mozzarella cheese and baked it. To my pleasant surprise, it came out perfectly crusty on top and gooey on the inside. Keenan and my husband loved it and both requested that I make it on a regular basis, which is a win win in my book!
So, for today’s What I Ate Wednesday, I’m exited to share this super simple one-pot meal, Mediterranean Kale Quinoa Casserole, with all of you…
- 2 bunches kale (rinsed and chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (chopped)
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (sliced)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 5 cooked Italian sausages (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- pinch of salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9 X 13 baking dish with olive oil.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl except for Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Pour kale mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Mix Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs together in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of kale mixture.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until brown and crispy on top. Enjoy!
Thanks, Jenn, for hosting another lovely WIAW!
Have a great day! Enjoy the beautiful Fall weather!
What is your favorite Fall food?
What is your favorite casserole/one-pot meal that you like to make?