This is one my favorite “non-lettuce” salads! Since I made it last week, I finally got around to updating the recipe, as it was on my old site. I add chicken for a one-pot meal, but you can take it out and use this as a side dish to compliment any protein.
- For the salad:
- 2 bunches of beets (trimmed and scrubbed)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 4 oz. of goat cheese
- 6-8 oz. of cooked chicken (chopped)
- 1/4 cup roasted walnuts (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp brown mustard
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1 tsp of herbs of your choice
- 2-3 Tbsp of vinegar (balsamic, red wine or champagne) to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Trim and scrub beets, Place them in a crimped foil packet with a little drizzle of olive oil. Roast in the oven for about an hour (until tender).
- Remove beets from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, open packet and let beets cool enough to handle. Rub skins off of beets (paper towels help) and cut into chunks and place in a large bowl.
- Add sliced onion, chicken and walnuts to the beets.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, toss all ingredients in a small bowl or salad dressing container and mix.Pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Divide salad among two plates and top with goat cheese. Enjoy!