If you follow my blog, you know I love one-pot meals, especially ones in the slow-cooker that you can prepare earlier in the day and forget about it until dinner time. I usually prep dinner right after lunch, during nap time, so I don’t have to hassle with it when everyone is hungry and ready to eat. It frees up my time to play with Keenan and Mirella (which has been swimming at my parents’ every afternoon lately) until dinner is ready.
After having a bunch of broccoli and not feeling like sauteing it or turning on my oven, I decided to experiment a little by adding it to my slow-cooker with some grains and protein to see how it came out…
To my pleasant surprise, it turned out great, creating a healthy, delicious (and cheesy) one-pot meal that my family loved (including Mirella who ate two servings!).
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 large onion (chopped)
- 4 small sweet bell peppers (diced)
- 4 heads broccoli (cut into small florets)
- 4 frozen Italian sausages (chopped into quarters)
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic no-salt seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- Add quinoa and broth to the bottom of your slow-cooker.
- Add garlic, onions, bell peppers and broccoli.
- Spread sausage on top of broccoli.
- Sprinkle spices on top and mix with veggies and sausage (be sure to not mix into the quinoa).
- Cook on low for 3 hours. Once done, remove lid and mix in goat cheese (stirring all ingredients together until creamy). Serve immediately. Enjoy!
What is your favorite slow-cooker recipe?
What is your favorite one-pot meal?