It has been way too long since I’ve posted a new recipe. I’ve been experimenting and trying new things, but I just haven’t had time to sit down and write them out (or I make something new and forget the exact measurements of ingredients and don’t take any pictures!).
Today, I’m super excited about sharing this simple, one-pot meal that is perfect for cooler days when you crave something warm and comforting. I actually created this recipe by accident. At random, I picked up some Mexican nitrite-free chicken sausages with cotija cheese at Costco a few weeks ago and decided to try them. Since I had fresh cilantro, sharp cheddar, salsa and cauliflower on hand, I decided to put them all together and make a casserole. Three hours later, I had a warm, gooey and cheesy casserole that my family loved! It instantly became a family favorite with my husband requesting I make this once a week!
Since cauliflower has such a neutral flavor, I love using it as a base and adding different things to make it more flavorful like this dish.
So, here you go…
- 2 heads cauliflower (chopped)
- 4 spicy pre-cooked sausages (diced)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Grease your slow-cooker with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Place cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 8 minutes.
- Place cauliflower in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients (except for 1/4 cup of cheese). Mix well.
- Pour into slow-cooker and top with the remaining cheese. Cook on low for 3 hours. Top with avocado and enjoy!
If you don't have a slow-cooker, you can bake it in a large casserole dish at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until the cheese is brown and sides are bubbly.
What new recipe have you made lately?