This is my family’s favorite way to eat zucchini and its prefect for Summer when both ingredients are in season! My parents’ garden is running wild with both zucchini and tomatoes right now, so I have been making this a lot lately. Since the recipe makes quite a bit, you should have plenty of leftovers for lunches (or even breakfasts, too!). I love re-heating a portion in the morning and eating it with a fried egg on top and some salsa…YUM! I hope you enjoy this Zucchini Tomato Bake as much as we do!
- 1 1/2 large zucchini or 2-3 medium size sliced in 1/4 inch circles
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 large tomatoes or 3 small ones sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 tsp garlic no-salt seasoning
- 2-3 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sliced onions on the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish and drizzle with 2 tsp of olive oil.
- Next, place a layer of sliced zucchini on top of onions followed by a layer of tomatoes. Drizzle with 1 tsp of olive oil
- Sprinkle about 1-2 tsp of spices on top of zucchini and tomatoes followed about 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Repeat layers of zucchini and tomatoes followed by 1 tsp of olive oil, spices, cheese and breadcrumbs until you no longer have anymore to layer.
- For the final layer, sprinkle the rest of the cheese and breadcrumbs on top, making sure to coat all of the zucchini well. You may need to add a little more cheese and breadcrumbs, if you used the rest in the layers.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until browned and crispy on top. Serve immediately and enjoy!
The nice thing about this dish is it tastes even better the next day! Reheat and serve with eggs for breakfast or take a square with you for lunch.